For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime. Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:5

Friday, January 27, 2012

The onigiri didn't start this

Just so that no one misunderstands, this blog did not start because of an onigiri.

Last night, while Tim was making an onigiri for my lunch today, it simply occurred to me that it might be nice to write about simple things - everyday things that would go easily unnoticed, bits of common grace given to us in various forms. I spend so much of my time writing about such weighty matters; I thought this would be a fun thing to do. That's all. Nothing to do with the onigiri, really.

Giant Pork Floss stuffed Onigiri

So, on a completely unrelated note, Tim made me an onigiri for lunch. To be more precise, he made me a giant onigiri which was stuffed with pork floss and wrapped with a piece of nori.

It was a packed lunch. Last semester, Tim would often deliver lunch to me in school. We called it lunch express.

Lunch Express: Chicken Rice with Stir-fried Lettuce and Potatoes... complete with cutlery

That was because my schedule on Tuesdays was such that there was a long break between two classes, which made it possible for him to bring lunch for me and join me for lunch. My two classes were also with two different sets of classmates, which meant no one to lunch with. This semester, I have two classes with the same classmates on Wednesdays, separated by a one and a half hour lunch break. This means hanging out with classmates for lunch. Back home, this usually means traipsing off to the food court or hawker center. Here, however, it is a more common practice to bring a packed lunch. And mind you, it is not just sandwiches. My classmates have brought lunches like grain salads, roasted pork tenderloin with basmati rice, pie, and pasta, and tortellini soup, among other things. It's nice hanging out over lunch. It's nice having a husband who packs me lunch.

Aren't I a blessed girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment